Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Not knowing

I have encountered a rather interesting problem.

Normally when I go out for lunch I have to estimate what I have eaten. I have a feeling I could be over estimating the calories I consume. In some ways I guess this is a good thing if I were still trying to loose weight but now that I am trying to maintain my weight it causes issues. NOT knowing how many calories I have consumed at an away from home meal where I cannot weigh or accurately calculate means that for the rest of that day I am perhaps a little over cautious about what I am eating.

Since I gave up alcohol (where I was getting about 1000 - 2000 calories daily in a wine glass) I have been having great difficulty EATING my daily allocation of calories. Sounds strange but I literally have to force myself to eat solid food. This is technically one of the reasons why my "issues" started and I do put some blame on alcohol for my current situation. I literally have no concept of eating so much food. I would say when I was drinking I was eating very little and now that I am no longer drinking eating is almost foreign.

This eating "issue" has also been impacted by my weight loss. Now that I don't want to loose weight any more I am kind of having difficulties eating the additional calories required to maintain my weight. At the end of the day I actually have to go to the fridge to find high calorie foods to increase my daily calorie intake. Not such a bad thing, I am eating dessert almost every night but this in a way is not a great thing. I need to rather be eating larger quantities of the "good" food during the day.

I am off to the shops today to buy ingredients for a veg back that I can store in the freezer and just re-heat when I need to increase my calories for the day.

Here with the planned recipe:

200g Spinach (blanched with hot water)
200g Egg plant
50g Onion
100g Sweet pepper
100g Tin tomato
1 whole egg (80 grams)
50g Low fat Cheese sauce
50g Low fat creamed cheese
50g Low fat yogurt
10g Potato flour
30g Mozzarella cheese

Pre-heat oven to 180 deg centigrade or 360 Fahrenheit. Chop up all the veggies into smallish pieces and place in a suitable oven proof quiche type dish. Mix together the tomato, egg, cheese sauce, cream cheese, yogurt & flour (you can mix in some fresh herbs if you like) and pour over the veggies. Move the sauce in and around the veggies so that they are "covered" and sprinkle the Mozzarella over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot or cold as this is almost like a quiche. Per 100 grams = 60 calories (Protein = 4g, Carb = 5g & fat = 2g).

1 comment:

cinnamon girl said...

Howdy!

I can really relate to what you say about having difficulty eating. I suffer from very poor appetite and often struggle to eat enough solid food. It's really annoying. I've learned to eat foods with high nutritional density to make up for the lack of volume. But I often find it much easier to have a banana smoothie or something liquid rather than try and eat solid food.